14 April 2010

pretend It's tuesday

I went online to register for Fall semester on Wednesday. I was stoked. I have 80+ credits (and yet nowhere near graduating...maybe i'm doing something wrong?) so I got to be one of the first to register. Practically guaranteed to get the classes I want.

And then the hiccup.

Two of the classes I want/need had a twenty minute overlap. Because of this, I wasn't able to register for the second class; the computer kept telling me there was an error. So I called my adviser, she couldn't do anything. I went to see the department chair, he couldn't do anything.

He did, however, let me know that I was not the only student struggling with this problem. Apparently a lot of students had come to him with the same issue. Someone messed up the scheduling and we were all going to have to suffer for it. He told me to wait a few days and check back.

Thursday comes. Now people with 70+ credits can register. Still no schedule change.

Friday comes. Now everyone can register. Still no schedule change.

At this point I was feeling a little panicked, because even if they fixed the schedule, I'd need to try to register before everyone else clamoring for this class. (stupid freshmen, get out of my way!)

A friend of mine called Friday night to let me know the schedule had been changed and asked me to register for her since she wouldn't be home until late that night. Sweet! Day of deliverance is come!
I hopped online, I got her registered. No problems.
I logged onto my account. Ready to register...and then something went wrong.

In my foolish haste, I accidentally dropped the class that I had already been registered for. I re-registered in less than a minute, but I found myself on the dreaded wait-list.
Minor set-back, right?
Wrong.
Because I was on a wait list, I couldn't register for the second class (they're co-requisite classes, see?) and so, far from being all squared away, I was even worse off than before!

I was in a tense, sweaty panic the rest of Friday night. I sent a desperate email to my adviser on Saturday. I was anxious and restless all of Sunday. FINALLY Monday came and I rushed into my adviser's office first thing. Surely she would sympathize with my plight and pull some of her magical adviser strings to get me out of this mess!

As predicted, she sympathized with my plight. Unfortunately for me, I significantly over-estimated the influence of her "magical adviser strings." I pictured advisers as being puppet masters of the registration computer program that had me so mercilessly grid-locked. Boy, was I off. She's given a few privileges, no doubt, but she couldn't solve my problem. Apparently the computer program is the one pulling the strings here (TRON) and it watches me dance and squirm.

I had to go back to the department chair. With his consent, my adviser could squeeze me into a crack, but there was still the issue of that "wait list." Now my hope rested with the department chair. Surely he would sympathize with my plight! Surely he would pull some magical strings, assuming there were magical strings to pull, and help me out of my mess.

He was out of the office for the day.

AAARGH!

So the rest of Monday I was a mess. Nervous and worried and rocking myself in dark corners of the office...it was terrible. This morning, Tuesday, I rushed to his office as soon as I could. Not surprisingly, there was a line (gigantic eye-roll) and I had to wait 40 minutes to ask my two minute question. But it was worth it!

I told him the issue and with one swoop of his hand (swoop) it was taken care of. He didn't pull strings, he didn't need to, he just acted as if they weren't even there. "I'll sign you in. Whatever it takes. You're in the class, don't even worry."

*insert choirs of angels singing and rays of sunlight bursting through dark clouds*

So now I'm set for the Fall. I'm taking Drawing III, Interactive Design, AVC Lectures, Drawing for Illustration and Illustrative Media and Techniques I. And three of those will be with my very good friend, Lee. I'm so excited.
It seems like a lot, but I think I can handle it. I'm pumped. Bring it on.

Small plug for Lee: she is an amazing writer as well as an exceptional painter. She's been published at least twice (that I know of) in the University's Journals and recently won first place for one of her peices. I highly recommend you visit her blog, http://thelocustmaster.blogspot.com/, to read her work. Start at Part 1 and move up. I love her stuff, it's magical and dark and delicious (like chocolate). Feel free to leave tips or advice when you're there; she's trying to improve the story by letting others read it and give her feedback.
Tell her I sent you. (unless it's not your cup of tea or you're mean to her, then please don't mention my name at all) Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment