09 November 2010

it's Not Funny unless There's A kernel Of Truth in It

There's a large calendar on the desk in the office where I work. Blockhead draws on it when he's on his shift.

His cartoons are actually not half bad. They follow a storyline you might expect from a ten year old and, in fact, look like they could've been drawn by a ten year old, but that's not to say they're bad. I've known some pretty clever ten year olds in my day. His cartoons possess some small level of genuine wit. (i know. i was surprised, too.)

I was reading his captions and I came across something interesting. He spelled "having" correctly and "Thanksgiving" correctly, but the way he spelled "cutting" gave me reason to pause: "cutin."

I kid you not. "Cutin." Remember how I said that I wouldn't be surprised if he spelled his words without the "g" in "ing" verbs? Yeah. I was kidding. Being facetious. Exaggerating. Being my usual self.

(please make a note of that if you have not already: most of my posts, and especially posts about Blockhead, are based on fact, but have been greatly exaggerated in order to make them funnier. that's the purpose of the Blockhead Chronicles - to be funny. when you stop laughing, you're dead.)

I had no idea I was so close to the truth behind Blockhead's disregard for the letter "g." I think I'm going to start over-emphasizing my "ing"s when he's around. Mostly to be obnoxious, but also out of burning curiosity as to whether or not it would make a difference in his speech patterns.

1 comment:

  1. Blockhead: How are you doin' today Miss Hobbit?

    Miss Hobbit: I am doING fine.

    Blockhead: Lookin' forward to Thanksgivin'?

    Miss Hobbit: I am lookING forward to ThanksgivING. CuttING the turkey, seeING my relatives, givING thanks and all that. Also, I like havING the time off.

    Blockhead: Alrighty. I'll be seein' you.

    Miss Hobbit: (sighING)

    ReplyDelete