23 December 2010

my New mantra

It's kind of a long mantra...

I just read an interview with Jean-Baptiste Monge (see his amazing blog and works here) and he said something that I really (really) needed to hear.

He was asked to give advice to young/beginning artists, and he said:

I won't embellish and will be honest with you guys. Ours is a very hard job, some can't make a living of it and must have another job to get by. It's hard to begin because of the supplies, schools,... and most can't afford it. I was in this case. My parents couldn't help me. You will pass through fear, doubt, depression, anger many many times because you'll feel like you can't manage, and that you see other people's stuff is better than yours (in your perception). So you have to be tough above all and hang on no matter what happens and you will find that finally there is also fun, good people to meet, pride, and happiness! If you have the imagination it's good because, in my opinion, that's 80% of the job and the 20% left, very important, is … working working working, just keep working and don't give up.
These are my five words : Curiosity, Imagination, Observation, Work and Meetings.

Thank you, Monge. I don't even know how to pronounce your last name, but you're my new favorite artist and person of the week/month/my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment