15 December 2010

but I'm Not bitter!

I finished the (stupid) self-portrait. My teacher loved it. End of class.
Huzzah.

(the portrait can be seen here)

At home when I finished the piece, I was taking the HUGE piece of paper off the wall (it was over three feet in height. ridiculous.), removing the sopping newspaper from the wall and off the floor, wiping off the acrylic paint and charcoal dust from the table, wall, chairs, and myself, I had a realization: I really hate working big.

People, I'm only 5'1". Painting a torso on a piece of paper that is six feet tall is just not a good idea (I'm referencing a completely different assignment now, but it still happened this semester - stay with me). It's stressful. It's bothersome. It's annoying. It makes me effing grumpy.

Sorry for the "effing." It's become my new mantra for the semester: "Eff, eff, eff my life!" But the semester is nearly over now, so I'll tone it down.

It's why I draw myself as a hobbit. It's why I refer to myself on the net as Miss Hobbit. I like cozy holes and books and food and drawings that do not exceed 9"x11". Granted, there is something rejuvenating about making brush strokes that exceed the breadth of your shoulders - it's liberating, in a way. It feels good.

But so does marijuana. You shouldn't do that all the time, either.

Don't give in to peer pressure, kids. Just say "no."

I'm going to buy smaller brushes with my Christmas money. Unless I buy a scanner, instead. Or maybe I'll go crazy and buy both!
(woah, settle down there! remember to buy food and pay rent first.)

Oh, to be young and married, in college and broke.

2 comments:

  1. Can you post it? I mean the self portrait? I'd like to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can. I could. The teacher has the project right now, but as soon as I get it back and can take a picture, then...are you sure you really want to see it?

    ReplyDelete