09 September 2010

tearing down My cages


I've got to stop caring about what people think. I've got to let go.

I can't.
I can't not care about what people think - I even care about what you think, and I'm not even sure who you are!

My sketchbook: a safehaven, a journal, an unbiased playground where ideas can (and should) run free.
But what will people think? No one will get it. It's not good enough. It's not clever enough. I need to think more (but then I draw less) and worry more (because I'm drawing less). What are the expectations??

There are no expectations. You've got to stop thinking in terms of expectations, because it holds you back.

Don (illustration) is trying to teach us (me) to be more creative. To trust myself, and my imagination, to solve problems and to create interesting situations. Catherine (fine arts) is trying to teach us (me) to trust the creative process. To let go of control and let things happen.

A lot of the students I work with complain about the severe differences between the Illustration Dept and the Fine Arts Dept, but I'm finding a lot of parallels. I think taking these two classes in the same semester will prove to be fortuitous.

Favorite instructor quote this semester: "You need to be willing to destroy some things. Destruction is what furthers the creative process."
Favorite student quote this semester: "Oh no! I didn't draw a building - I drew a bug!"

No comments:

Post a Comment