28 November 2009

adventures In the Kitchen! (almost)


I've got this honking huge bag of blueberries in my freezer from my mother-in-law and I'm not really sure what I should do with them. I've mixed them in things like yogurt and put them on top of pancakes, and they're okay but hardly anything to get excited about.

UNTIL!

I baked them. In a muffin mix. One word: Wow. Something about baking the blueberries releases some sort of mouth-wateringly delicious
and magical property that I cannot resist. (cooking them in pancakes is good, too, but it doesn't quite measure up to the muffins)

I ran out of muffin mix (oh sadness) but it's okay! We've got the stuff to make 'em from scratch, and although I'm not a great cook, I can follow a recipe.

Or so I thought.

I'm reading over this "simple" recipe I found online and I'm getting confused. What's with all the weird words? And why all the extra steps? Does alternating the milk with the flour as you mix it in make that much of a difference? How would it? All the ingredients will end up together in the same bowl and then into the oven, right? How crucial is it, exactly, for me to "sift" the flour and baking powder?

Rookie questions, I know. But I'm extremely lazy, especially when it comes to cooking (or baking). I want to do as little as possible but still get the same result. So let me ask you this, if I were to forgo the "sifting" and the "alternating" and just threw everything into the bowl, mixed it together, and threw it in the oven...I'd still get muffins in the end, right? It's not like skipping the sifting step will turn them into cookies or flatbread, right?

I think the author of this recipe is just trying to make baking look harder than it really is, possibly as an attempt to come across as impressive to their doctor and lawyer friends.

We're going to try this thing my way. The easy way. The lazy way. I'll let you know how it turns out.

If it goes well, I may write a book: "The Easy, Lazy Cookbook for Easy, Lazy People." ...the title may need some refining.

No comments:

Post a Comment