15 November 2009

tragedy At the Bus Stop


On a cement post supporting the roof of the bus stop where I wait every weekday evening (that sounded funny...weekday evening? Can we call it weekevening?) someone has drawn a picture of Spock. Yes, the Spock. As in Star Trek and Captain James T. Kirk and the Vulcan, Spock.

It's awesome:


Can you see it? A low quality picture from my obsolete cell phone. Here's a close-up:


Brilliantly simplistic, isn't it? That is what, we in the business call, skillz. Call it graffiti if you want, but I'm calling it art and I love it.

I'm so impressed by this image I've taken pictures of it on my cell phone and sent it to people. Same response every time: "What is...*double take* Is that Mister Spock?! That's awesome!!"
I love seeing him there every time I'm at the bus stop. I like to wonder about the person who put him there and how they did it.

A week ago I went to the bus stop, sat down, looked at Spock and saw something that troubled and angered me. Over Spock's face someone had written in Sharpie marker:

VANDALISM!

I'm having a hard time forming words right now. I'm torn between "What. The. Fetch." and "That doesn't even make sense!!" and "GAH!@#!%$^&*#$@*!!!"

Are they trying to label Spock as vandalism? If that was the point, then that is the most irritating example of irony I've ever seen. Or is it some moronic version of "I was here"? Perhaps the message is actually, "[This is] VANDALISM!" If that's the case then, guess what? It's still stupid! And why did you have to write it over Spock's face?? JERK!

I don't mean to take it personally but I am taking it personally. I'm ticked off at the mystery VANDALISM-jerk and I fume every time I see it now. I want to write something underneath it. Something short, concise, that effectively portrays the indignation and frustration of all Spock lovers that have ever sat at that bus stop. How's this?:

"Everyone loved this picture of Spock.
We all thought it was awesome.
And you ruined it.
Good job."

Maybe that's too long. How about this one?:

(arrow pointing to 'VANDALISM!')
"Written by an idiot."

Perhaps I'll compose a fitting haiku. Ah, yes. It'll be poetic and classy, while being poignant and possibly stinging.

3 comments:

  1. I cannot believe how stupid people are any more. There is no sanctity for the awesome world of Star Trek. I would seriously go with your second option. People need to be aware that whoever wrote "VANDALISM" is a complete and total idiot. How could any person with even a scrap of a soul deface Spock? Kenna, you must take action and right this wrong.

    A. Twirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. The VANDALISM-Jerk struck again yesterday. They outlined Spock's lips and drew some sort of un-earthly shape coming out of his mouth. I felt sick when I saw it.

    I feel I've got to do something, but what??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely want to do *something* but I'm at a loss. I don't want to add to the crudity they've already exposed us to. I considered composing a haiku about how moronic they are and writing it underneath. For some reason that strikes me as being more mature than just saying, "you're an idiot." (though the latter is quite satisfying) How are you at haikus?

    ReplyDelete