10 November 2009

Petty problems We All share


For years I've wanted to lose weight, but I don't want to diet or exercise.

Conundrum.

Okay, okay. That statement isn't entirely true. As far as diet goes, I actually eat really well. I love fruits, veggies, and whole grains. My calorie intake fluctuates a bit (yay college) but it stays in normal range.

My real problem is sugar. Oh my goodness. I. Love. Sugar.
Candy, cake, cookies, ice cream, you name it, I'll eat it. (except brownies. gross.) I try to be moderate about it, but if we're being completely honest, I eat significantly more sugar on a weekly basis than the average person. This love-affair is doomed to end (eventually) due to insulin resistance and diabetes looming on the horizon of my not-too-distant future. My logic may be flawed here, but I say: enjoy it while you can.

Then exercise. I love to exercise. When I had a gym pass I was going 3 - 4 times a week and stayed about an hour or more each time. Here's the problem: my pass has expired now and I don't have money for a new one. I have asthma that doesn't react well to cold air, so jogging around the block will not be happening. Not to mention the fact that I hate running. I'm just not built for it. Everything hurts when I run: knees, ankles, lungs, arms, head...my goodness, it sounds like I'm trying to run into the sidewalk or nearby walls. I'm not (probably). Although it would explain a lot...

So what does an asthmatic with sore joints and no gym pass do for exercise?

No really, I'm asking.

I did come up with one other option. It doesn't require any drastic change to my diet or a rigorous exercise program:

Learn to accept and love my body just the way it is.

Yeah.

Right.

How long is that going to take? I'd have more luck on a grapefruit diet...

No comments:

Post a Comment