03 December 2009

The gook is Congealing into Something not unlike Silly-Putty


I'm writing a paper on the most boring topic I could possibly imagine: Architecture.


I shouldn't say architecture is boring. Sorry. It's just...well, no. It is boring. *shrug*

It's one thing to appreciate architecture as a feat of human engineering, or the unique use of space and natural light, and even the influences that led up to that one particular building. But I really (really) don't want to know about "squinches" and "pendentives" and "naves" and "transepts" and "ambulatories" and all the other strange terms that come with studying ancient, and particularly Christian, architecture.

This has come upon me through Art History : Prehistory to the Renaissance. I'm not an architect, I'm not an art historian, but as a general art major the class is required.

My teacher really loves architecture. She gets pretty excited about it. It makes me want to bang my head against my desk until I black out and start bleeding out my ears.

As my Korean painting professor would have said, "We are having probrem."

(That class was over two years ago. Is it strange that I still hear that little woman's voice in my head sometimes? Especially the way she said "questions." Not a "w" sound after the "q" but a "y." Phonetically it might look like this: kyess-chuns.

"If we are not having kyestions then we having probrem, okay?" *cute smile*)

You know the feeling when you've worked on one thing for several consecutive hours, how your brain feels like it has imploded in your skull and is now sloshing around between your ears in a gooky mess?

Yeah. I'm feelin' it.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kenna, your blog brings me such joy. Specifically the hilarious way in which you related your pain and suffering to the rest of the world brings me joy. I can't believe you don't love architecture. You know, if you started storing all this useless information about buildings you could dazzle people at dinner parties and the like! That's the only reason people get an education is to wow their friends at dinner parties! hahaha!

    A. Twirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would have made sense back in the day when I had friends who had dinner parties. Now I have a plethora of acquaintances who very well could have dinner parties, but I have not received any invitations to said parties, as of yet. So what am I supposed to do in my hermit cave with all these words and terms floating around in my head?

    I'm going to tilt my head over the sink and see if they dribble out of my ear and I'll watch them spin around the drain.

    ReplyDelete