11 November 2011

happy 11/11/11 y'all

Tuesday was eternal.

Did anyone else feel that? Yeah? Yeah.

I can't get over how eternal Tuesday was. Wednesday morning finally came and I felt as though I had trudged through a month of Tuesdays to get there. Part of me feels as though Tuesday is still going on.

Good grief, Tuesday. We're almost into the weekend now, would you just end already?

Speaking of Friday (did I mention Friday?), today is 11/11/11. A single digit (1), repeated six times (6), and it won't happen again for a hundred (100) years. Do you like parentheses? (I do!)

I feel like this is a special day. This is a date to cherish, to celebrate, or at least pay some small recognition to. I'm at a loss for an appropriate way to show that recognition...

At work, my manager supplied the department with candy at exactly 11:11 a.m.
(not true: at 11:11 a.m. he had not yet bought the candy; we all got an email at 12:41 p.m. that said "come to my office to get candy celebrating 11/11/11 11:11!!" ...it's the thought that counts.)

A final 11/11/11 11:11 is coming up. Almost three hours away now.

Kinda still want to do something...something poignant, interesting, specific...to mark those sixty seconds before they slip irretrievably into the past.

It has occurred to me that the significance of 11/11/11 11:11 is purely arbitrary, and is not that important in the grand scheme of things. None of my posterity will come to me after perusing their history books to say, "I just realized that you were alive for Nov 11, 2011! That's amazing! What was it like? What did you do??"

On the off-chance that they realize I was alive for a moment of symmetry that they will never see, and just to be prepared for the unlikely event of them asking me about it, I have prepared my response. Ahem:
It was just another Friday. Worked 9-5 in customer service. I spent the evening at home, avoiding chores, listening to podcasts, npr, and watching Netflix.

*shrug*

Not such a terrible way to spend an evening, really. And not a half-bad way to usher in a much-needed weekend, either.

1 comment:

  1. I started cooking a celebratory 11/11/11 breakfast at 11:11 (because I didn't think Tyler would want to get out of bed at 11:11). And it did seem really arbitrary, but we did celebrate.

    Went to the dollar movies.
    Ate sushi.

    and I forgot about the second 11:11, so I was doing homework as it passed by unlauded.

    Oh well. Glad you had a good 11/11/11 and not a bad one.

    ps. my word verification word was "tisho".

    ReplyDelete