01 July 2010

I'm in No Condition to drive...but I'm Going to anyway

After the initial shock of my sister announcing her elopement, and some internal freaking out (as well as some external repercussions), I think I'm ready to say...that...I'm okay.

Yeah.

I'm okay with it.

I find it hard to trust the judgments of an 18 year old, hormonal and irrational as we all know they are, but she really is a good kid. I don't think I would call her and her soon-to-be husband "wise" but to their credit, they're at least being thoughtful about their decisions. They're presentation of those choices is flippant, at best, but I've been assured that they're actions are not.

She and I have grown apart in the last year. I hadn't been paying attention. I don't really know her now. If she were still the girl that I knew, that I thought she was, then the situation would be different. Much to my surprise, though, she's not that person anymore.

She'll get married, she and her husband will move to another town, go to college together. It'll be a long time before I see her again. In that time she'll change even more.
How strange.

I got married, moved to another town, am going to school with my husband...I guess I've changed, too. I don't feel like I've changed, but you can't really gauge things like that. Not in yourself.

I have to go buy Nyquil now. I feel dizzy and the letters keep moving around on the screen. Makes it hard to read. Especially when they go in and out of focus like that.

Probably shouldn't be driving....but it's less than a block away, what's the worst that could happen? This is what happens when you leave sick people home alone to take care of themselves. Just steer clear of any silver cougars you see on the roads in the next hour or so, and we should be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment