04 November 2014

a short Story for Your pleasure And entertainment

NaNoWriMo continues!

Day 4 and I have 8,115 words so far. I'm doing SO much better than last year and it is invigorating!

It's late, I'm tired, so here's a quick short story I wrote while warming up today. Let me know what you think!

~
Maybe they won't see me.

“Hey!”

Dang it.

“Oh my gosh, is that you Nora?”

“Yeah, woah. Didn't expect to see you two here.”

“We were just out for a stroll,” Callie begins.

“We just had lunch at that new sandwich place, have you tried it yet?” Cameron interjects.

“It's really good. So, what have you been up to?” Callie again.

“Oh. You know. Just..life. Living the dream.”

“Are you still in school?”

Cameron is the one who asks the question so I look at him when I try to answer.

“Actually I grad-” Heat. His skin on my skin, his breath mingling with mine, his eyes watching me, reading me, loving me...
 
“Woah, are you okay?” He reaches out to steady me and I jerk back. If just a look could unlock that kind of memory, I'd hate to think what physical touch would do.

“I'm fine, sorry. I just-”

“You looked like you were about to pass out. Do you need to sit down?” Callie is like that. Has always been so sweet, so thoughtful to the needs of others. It's why they make such a good pair.

“I've been fighting a pretty bad migraine all day, but it's much better now, I promise.” No more looking at Cameron. “Sorry. I was going to say that I graduated last year. I teach drawing classes at the college now. And my freelance stuff on the side, of course.”

“That sounds wonderful! How do you like it?”

“I love it. I really do.” Change the topic from me. Quick. “And what about you two?? What's it been now...three years of married bliss?”

“Four, actually.” They share an affectionate glance and he squeezes her shoulder gently.

Still dripping with the newly-wed glow. Sickeningly adorable. We were the same way.

No, no, focus. Find something solid to anchor to. Two years ago. Senior project, painting like mad, day and night, to get ready for the gallery show, moving into my own apartment- Feeling the first kicks, first hiccups, and the long delivery, and finally holding my child. Our child. Our son.
 
“Nora, you should sit down.”

Oh Callie. You have no idea. And never will. I risk a side-glance at Cameron thinking that he will never know, either. Never know the son we had.

“I'm sorry, I just...” I just need to get out of here, is what. “My car is parked just up the street, I should go. Go home, lie down. I'm sure I'll be fine.”

“Are you sure you're okay to drive?”

I'm already walking away. Briskly, hopefully not obviously so. “I'll be fine. Sorry. Good to see you!”

“Nora, are you-”

I might be sprinting. His first birthday. Cupcakes. Fingers and mouth stained with blue frosting. NO. Stop. It didn't happen that way. That would have been last year, and last year I graduated. With honors. Started working part-time for the college. No husband. Not even a boyfriend. Certainly no children.

The memories fade the further away I get from Cameron and his darling wife of four years.

They seem really good for each other. I knew they would be. I knew I would find a place, a time, where they would be together.

I need to consider moving away from this place so I don't run into Cameron anymore. Or anyone significant from that other life, for that matter.

Maybe I'll travel. I've always wanted to see Italy. And now it's just me to worry about.

I should go.

I wonder, for just a moment, if she regrets our trade. And for the millionth time I hope that she doesn't. Never comes back in her crazy machine, demanding to restore us to our proper timelines.  

This is my life now.

No looking back.
~

Goodnight world. I go now to my well-earned slumber.

No comments:

Post a Comment