12 August 2013

I'm already There

Remember my post about putting down roots and creating a place of permanence for myself?

PSYCH!

Rug was pulled out from under me again. Husband was laid off a couple of weeks ago.

I'll always be a transient. Might as well join a troupe of gypsies.

(is it a troupe? a pack? a bunch of? seriously, what am I saying?)

So we're digging through the unemployment rubbish pile again. Can't seem to stay away from it. You'd think I loved sorting through dead-end opportunities and sad realizations.

I don't, by the way. I detest it.

Let's fast-forward a few years/decades, can we?

We're sitting, you and I, at a table, outdoor cafe, quaint part of Matera, Italy. The kids are running around town with our respective spouses and we're having a pleasant chat over gazpacho. The kind of chat we won't remember the details of the next day but will fondly recall ten years from now.
And you say, "What a great way to spend the month of June."
And I say, "It absolutely is. We should do this every summer. Only next year let's visit Vienna."
"Sounds lovely."
And the sunlight illuminates the puzzlework stone city in a way that makes your heart lift and cleanses your soul. There we sit, both awash in a beautiful ache to stay there forever and taking comfort in the thought of home.


No comments:

Post a Comment