10 August 2013

I Need more off-Duty time

Traveling back to Utah and staying for a week really messed up the baby's sleep schedule.

(for those who are not parents, let me quickly explain: the parent's life revolves around the baby's sleep schedule. every plan, every activity, every thought absolutely depends on the stability of the baby's sleep schedule. this post may seem trivial but, I assure you, it is of the utmost importance.)

Today gave me hope that her internal clock would automatically reset itself. Because Nature is awesome that way, right?

She was out like a light at 12:30 in the afternoon and didn't stir for 3 hours (!!). It was amazing and I thought,
'Fantastic. Next time she gets tired it'll be time to go to bed anyway and she'll be back to going to bed early in the evening.'

(I like it when she goes to bed early in the evening, say 7 or 8, because then I get a few hours to myself. Off-duty time, if you will.)

As planned, she started rubbing her eyes around 7 and making the I'm-tired-and-grumpy-about-it-but-I-want-to-keep-playing whimper (it's a very distinctive whimper). She was down and out by 7:30 and I was reveling in the silence by 8:00.

And at 9:00, emerging from the nursery, were the okay-I'm-awake-from-my-nap-now-let's-go-play sounds (great sounds to hear in the afternoon, but definitely not okay at nine o'clock at night)

I take it all back. Nature sucks and the Universe hates me.

It's been about an hour now and I think she's finally gotten the point: It's Night. Sleep. SLEEP. SLEEP.

It put a serious dent in my off-duty time, though.

It's too bad Motherhood doesn't come with vacation or sick days, because I would seriously cash some of those in right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment