05 March 2011

another Character defect

Yesterday was my birthday - sshhh! don't tell anyone - and my husband talked me into a having a party. We found a nice park in the canyon with a grill so we could serve food and the weather was forecast to be being sunny.

Great.

I was there at 2:00, when I expected the sun to be at its peak. It wasn't. It was grey, and an unpleasant breeze started up, and I was just thinking that I ought to just call the whole thing off, when the first of the guests arrived.

Great.

There was conversation, smiles and laughter, but we were lacking a crucial ingredient: sunshine. After about half an hour my friends decided to go home, it was just too chilly, and so wished me a happy birthday and departed. And wouldn't you know it, about ten minutes after they left...

...the sun came out!

Great.

More people came, food was cooked and served, eating and mingling and acquainting commenced (a friend of mine even provided face-painting. woah). We were warm and happy for about an hour and a half. As people got their fill of food and talk, they left for their respective homes. As the people dispersed, dearest husband and I cleaned up, loaded up the car, and went home to bed.

And that was...that. *shrug* I'm not really sure what to think. It was nothing memorable, nothing particularly meaningful...I'm not sure it even qualified as "good."

This is why I don't do parties: I have no direction, no vision, no purpose behind it; simply put, I just don't care. I think the day would have been better spent with a book, a bowl of icecream, and perhaps a walk through the sunshine-dappled canyon with my husband.

No offense intended to those of you who came to the party: I was, in fact, quite pleased to see all of you. I wish only to apologize to you for not caring enough to organize a more entertaining get-together.

Remind me to not let my husband talk me into another party next year. I'm pretty sure I said that last year, but this time I mean it.

On a brighter note: my birthday falls on the same day as National Grammar Day. (see, I found it on this website, so it must be true!) w00t.

2 comments:

  1. Go ahead and have parties. Just hold them indoors in the first week of March!

    You know, the meaningful thing about it was this: everyone planned it, got in their cars, and drove up the canyon because they LOVE you.

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote an epistle, now it's gone. Just know that I understand why Mathias thinks you're worth celebrating.

    And a hot bath after a chilly day is glorious.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete